On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 09:30 +0200, ext Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> :2009-09-09T23:22:David Weinehall:
>
> > The problem isn't finding a solution for the computer literati, but
> > rather for "normal" users.  Normal users that doesn't know what scp is.
> > IMHO we have three options:
> >
> > - Real VFAT (with all the drawbacks it brings)
> > - VVFAT
> > - A separate program (PC Suite, most likely) to do the transfers
> > (probably leaving Linux and MacOS users out in the cold)
> >

> I wasn't suggesting they need to know what scp is. It could all be
> hidden under some filesystem(like sshfs) so when they plug it in all
> they get is a new drive letter under windows. Of course it would require
> getting that support but it would work probably way better than any of
> the other solutions.
>
> Or samba as an option? That would be effective as well if not scp :)
>
> But basically I think and believe the best and easiest interop system would be
> networked.
>
> I've setup sshfs for regular users(this would be much easier with usbnet
> and predefined stuff) and nobody ever notices anything odd about it :)

USB networking does not work out-of-the-box, it requires driver
installation. It would not work with PS3 or Xbox360 either. USB mass
storage is still the most supported way to transfer files over USB.  But
yes, if you happen to have the drivers, then you could have something
more convenient than USB mass storage.

-Kimmo