Kees Jongenburger wrote:

> Perhaps samba or webdav or sshfs , mpd are possible without unmounting
> the block device ? Also a virtual virtual fat implemented as fuse
> really sounds like a crazy project.

    Virtual virtual fat (or wfat now on ;) is what I had in my mind.
However, I do not see FUSE as an solution here, because the problem is
that the USB mass storage devices transfer pure sectors. Thus, data is
not going through the Linux VFS.

    We need a block device that acts like a VFAT partition but reads and
writes the actual data into a given directory (in any file system,
actually). Yes, it really sounds crazy! ;)

    BR,

    Henrik

    P.S. The original root cause is the USB mass storage specification,
which does not say anything about the file system. Thus, FAT has become
de-facto standard for portable media, which is sad.

--
    Henrik Hedberg  -  http://www.henrikhedberg.net/