ext Graham Cobb <g+...@cobb.uk.net> writes:

> 2) Nokia sets up the environment (in both the SDK and on the device) to
> include /opt directories in PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, PKG_CONFIG_PATH and
> PYTHON_PATH.  In that case, I would encourage Mer to also implement this.
>
> 3) Allow use of --prefix=/opt.  Any package that wants to use that is fine.
> In particular, allow installation into /opt/bin, /opt/lib, etc (not just
> into /opt/<package>).  Note that this is not FHS compliant (FHS would
> require --prefix=/opt/package).

I think this is a essentialy useless exersize.  Replace /opt with /usr
in your text above, and you'll see that this has already been done.  I
don't see a need to add a third prefix into the picture.

Instead, we should move /usr to a different partition if we really want
to.  I hope we can avoid that by moving all of / to the eMMC, but if
that is not possible for whatever reason, we should move /usr.

(If the eMMC is an all-around shitty place for files because it is too
slow and too unreliable, then we really have a bigger problem.  I hope
that most of the perceived shittyness of the eMMC can actually be blamed
on VFAT.  On the other hand, it is likely true that the OneNAND is
better in many ways, and we should make good use of it as long as we
have it.  I'm proposing to put swap there, and maybe /var.  But really,
if you have 32 GiB of storage, who cares about the 256 MiB in the
corner?  It's reasonable to ignore it completely.)