Marius Vollmer (marius.voll...@nokia.com) wrote:
> The "/opt is hack" statement needs to be qualified, of course.  "Moving
> stuff into /opt/maemo" is a hack, of course.  But at least in my
> opinion, "Moving stuff into /opt/<package>/" is a bigger hack, and a
> bigger violation of the letter and spirit of /opt. *shrug*

Uh, I am not sure about this.

Reading the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs/)
it seems that both uses (/opt/maemo/* and /opt/<package>) are covered
by it. In fact configuring applications with --prefix=/opt and
installing to /opt is not.

(for /opt/maemo one apparently should register "maemo" with
http://www.lanana.org/ which is apparently not really a problem: "nokia"
and "nokiasiemensnetworks" are already registered)

> I don't think using /opt/<package> in distribution packages is good
> design.

True.

Bye,
       Simon