Hi,

I don't think /opt/<package> is a bad idea, and I wouldn't call it a
hack. On other Unices, like Solaris, 3rd party software usually goes
to /opt. In fact, by default, /usr is write-protected in virtual
containers (mounted read-only from the host system).

The good thing IMHO about /opt is that all stuff resides in one place,
not being scattered all across the filesystem. When looking at
Solaris, you can find directories like "lib" and "bin" inside
/opt/<package>/. This way it's also possible for programs to bring in
libraries that would otherwise break or mess up the root system.
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc. can be setup by the start scripts of the
programs accordingly. I'm all for keeping the root system clean of 3rd
party stuff.

Regards,
Martin