On Thursday 10 September 2009 12:16:59 Marius Vollmer wrote:
> There is no harm in using /opt also for non-Fremantle releases.  That
> is, if you 'optify' your package for Fremantle, you can still ship it
> for the older releases with the optification in it.
>
> Also, you can make it so that maemo-optify only runs in debian/rules
> when it is present:
>
>      which maemo-optify && maemo-optify

Small correction: that doesn't work (because it returns an error status when
maemo-optify is not present).  So you need to tell make to ignore the error.
In which case there is no real point with the "which", it is simpler just to
say:

        - maemo-optify

If you want the build to fail if maemo-optify is present but gives an error
then use:

        if which maemo-optify ; then maemo-optify ; fi

Is the idea that the autobuilder will automatically install maemo-optify if it
exists for that version or do we have to add it to our Build-Depends?  If the
latter then we are back to needing different source packages for different
Maemo versions.

By the way, I have been experimenting with maemo-optify.  I think it is
currently generating too many links for quite small files.  I think 20K would
be a better default for the size and, if feasible, I would like to see the
size settable as an option on the command line, to allow the developer to
tune it for their particular package.

Graham