Carsten Valdemar Munk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have uploaded my kernel at
> http://gitorious.org/maemo5-sgx-beagle/maemo5-beagle-cvm . It is omap-pm
> kernel with beagleboard patch on top, as well as few patches to get
> Nokia SGX module going. Defconfig is at
> http://rcn-ee.homeip.net:81/dl/omap/beagle/v2.6.29-e63cf07-pm42.1/defconfig
> (answer 'm' to the PVR module when doing make oldconfig)
>
> A compiled kernel can be found at
> http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/repo/beaglepmsgx2.tar.gz. You will need to
> follow instructions on
> http://www.omappedia.org/wiki/Maemo_Getting_Started. When that is done,
> copy in http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/sgx into /etc/event.d on the
> filesystem.
>
> Current status we have is that it boots Xorg just fine, hildon-desktop
> starts, except it seems to insist on outputting on LCD interface and
> leave DVI and S-video blank. Anyone who can check if it actually shows
> something on that interface?

This can be fixed by using at kernel command line (e.g. via U-Boot's
bootcmd) "omapfb.mode=dvi:800x600mr...@60".

Short status:

1. Build rootfs according to

http://www.omappedia.org/wiki/Maemo_Getting_Started

2. Make sure you extract the resulting rootfs (image-rootfs.tgz) to SD
card with

tar --numeric-owner -pzxf image-rootfs.tgz

3. The rootfs doesn't contain any dev entries (makedev is missing).
Workaround:

Download and install in rootfs

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/repo/makedev_2.3.2~2.3.1-80osso9_all.deb

Then, in rootfs go to /dev directory and there manually do

../sbin/MAKEDEV std
../sbin/MAKEDEV consoleonly
../sbin/MAKEDEV maemo

4. Download

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/repo/beaglepmsgx2.tar.gz

It contains the kernel (uImage) and the kernel modules. Extract
beaglepmsgx2.tar.gz in root of rootfs to have the kernel modules in
place. Move uImage to boot partition of SD card (where u-boot.bin is
located, too).

5. Download

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/repo/zoom2.patch

and install it in root of rootfs

patch -p0 < zoom2.patch

6. Download

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/sgx

and move it to

etc/event.d/sgx

8. sync & umount your SD card, boot into U-Boot

9. At U-Boot set kernel command line:

console=ttyS2,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootfstype=ext3 rootwait
omapfb.mode=dvi:800x600mr...@60

10. Re-boot, enjoy booting it with Beagle :)

After some time, having a DVI monitor connected, first the Beagle logo
should be shown and then the "water" background.

It disappears after ~1min and the monitor switches off. This seems to
be the screen saver. Plugging/unplugging an USB mouse sometimes brings
the screen back. Moving the mouse doesn't seem to help, though (Note:
I already had no USB mouse working with Maemo alpha on Beagle).

Further work:

- I was not able to log in at minicom console. I got login prompt, but
typing resulted in some garbage characters. Typing root/rootme there
seemed to make the system hang and after some time the login prompt
came again.

- Disable screen blanking

- Make (USB) mouse to show and work

As I'm no expert on this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks to Carsten and Till for helping with this!!

Cheers

Dirk