Hi,

El vie, 08-01-2010 a las 15:35 +0100, ext Michael Cronenworth escribió:
> Cornelius Hald on 01/08/2010 05:02 AM wrote:
> > Anyways, it´s just a guess.
>
> That's for images only. Till wants it for *all* file types.

 In Fremantle, tracker 0.6 can store the location of Images (basically
the geotags the user set in the image viewer). Those properties contain
text, so you need to use the location API to turn them into coordinates
for your map application.

 About other media types... there is no other format containing
location, so tracker cannot fill that information by itself.

 Our idea for the future is that _applications_ can set location values
for the files (e.g. a shopping-list note in the supermarket, so i can
see it when i arrive there). This will be supported in tracker 0.7
(ready to play with on desktop), but not in 0.6/fremantle.

 Some remarks to the previous comments in the thread:

1) EXIF is not the only format for metadata in images. There is XMP or
IPTC, and you need a hierarchy to choose between them, and handle broken
files and ... well, don't underestimate the problem

2) The idea of scanning and monitoring the filesystem means basically to
duplicate the functionality of tracker (and probably the code ;))

3) Scanning and reading files is not CPU expensive, but needs a lot of
IO, and IO is a very precious resource.

 Regards,

Ivan