Hi,

Maemo 5 PR1.2 seems to be a release with some large changes which are not
backwards compatible with previous releases. Most visible change will be
the inclusion of Qt4.6, but there will be some other smaller changes.

We have prevented SDK upgrades in the past to keep software in Extras
backwards compatible, but with this change this does not seem possible. I
want to propose the following changes:

- Maemo 5 PR1.2 will ship with Extras enabled by default but will use
distribution: fremantle-1.2
- 'older' devices will continue to fetch from distribution: fremantle
- Autobuilder will be updated when PR1.2 is released and promotion will
only happen to fremantle-1.2

This will effectively mean that the 'old' Extras will not get any updates.
New versions of applications will go to fremantle-1.2 Extras. Extras-devel
and Extras-testing will not be changed, as they are expected to run the
latest and greatest anyway.

I proposed not to update fremantle Extras, because we would then need to
setup separate builders and more importantly different QA queues. This
will bring a lot of work and confusion to testers and developers, I want
to prevent that.

Nokia will encourage people to upgrade to the latest release as much as
possible and we expect people to switch to PR1.2 at a high rate.

Please let me know what you think, we have to come to a consensus as soon
as possible if we want to have this change included in PR1.2.

--
Niels Breet
maemo.org webmaster