> On Wednesday 24 February 2010 12:21:45 Niels Breet wrote:
>
>> Please let me know what you think, we have to come to a consensus as
>> soon as possible if we want to have this change included in PR1.2.
>
> How will this PR1.2 change be reflected on the maemo.org dowloads section
>  (i.e. how will it be ensured that the user gets presented the correct
> install-this link) ?

A different .install file can be offered based on your browser string.

> Second, is there a safety mechanism considered that will disallow
> inclusion of 'the other' firmware's repository to prevent potential
> version-related breakage ?

There is not a lot we can do there. If a user adds the repository on an
'old' device, some applications just won't install because dependencies
are missing.

>> This will effectively mean that the 'old' Extras will not get any
>> updates. New versions of applications will go to fremantle-1.2 Extras.
>> Extras-devel
>> and Extras-testing will not be changed, as they are expected to run the
>> latest and greatest anyway.
>
> What happens to apps (especially those with Qt dependencies) _currently_
> in Extras, i.e., how will they get to the fremantle1.2 Extras repo ?

The Qt apps are currently blocked from being promoted to prevent issues.
The fremantle-1.2 repository will probably need to be 'legacy' clean. Qt
4.5.3 is not available in Extras and will probably not be available on any
repository enabled by default on the device. This means that applications
depending on this, will not work.

Those applications need actual changes to work with Qt4.6 iirc.

--
Niels Breet
maemo.org webmaster