That's the beauty of the n900, you CAN do exactly what you're doing,
and the only consequence is some disappointed devs on a mailing list
(IOW - none).

However, if you want to have your app included in the 'mainline',
expect to suffer a little. But this goes for any large open source
project. Take a look at getting an app into Debian, Ubuntu, or FreeBSD
-- I have, and believe me Maemo is much much easier !

- ianaré sévi