ext Yves-Alexis Perez <cor...@debian.org> writes:

> On 22/07/2010 10:10, Marius Vollmer wrote:
>> The Application Manager has been 'optimized' for repositories, and the
>> code for dealing with Debian package files has been neglected.  Now with
>> the Ovi Store using standalone Debian packages, we should finally fix
>> that.
>
> Again, wouldn't it be easier and smarter (at least technically) to fix
> ovi store?

Don't know.  We are doing this for Harmattan, and it isn't really that
easy or fast...

> What's the point of (basically) running dpkg -i instead of apt-get
> install?

If you use apt-get unmodified, you need to provide permanent download
URLs for the packages, and my understanding is that the Ovi Store can
not provide those _and_ control their accesses.  They protect against
unauthorized downloads by using random, temporary URLs.

Another issue is scalability: we don't want to download the meta data
for the whole Ovi Store during apt-get update.

For Harmattan, we are putting a "Ovi Store Adaptor" into place which
makes the Ovi Store look like a regular repository.  The apt-cache
search will find your paid packages and you can update them with apt-get
upgrade, etc.