Hi,
Earlier in the summer I tried with "root" using the password authentication
scheme - it worked. If you use "user" then you do not need to use the key
mechanism, the password does not change frequently like the "developer"
password.

(I haven't tried the "user" account or the key scheme with any account other
than "developer", so I don't know if this helps your case.)

Ronan.