Hi Ville,

Ville M. Vainio wrote:
> You can get "make install" quite easily with qmake as well. It's a
> basic boilerplate you attach to your project:
>
> http://pastebin.com/QfsRYtqF

I'm not saying you can't - I'm only trying to get people up to speed as
quickly as possible with their first application installed on their phone.

It so happens that since I know autotools best (and, frankly, there's
the best docs for it of all the build systems on Maemo) I used that one.

Perhaps you would like to help improve things further and create a "your
first Fremantle Qt app" section in the Packaging article, I would
welcome that (as it's something I don't know how to do).

RST38h has also proposed helping with an example package using plain
Makefiles, which I would also welcome. The idea is to make it as easy as
possible to get started, without making everything confusing.

> Right. Do you think that's the average developer though?

Perhaps the average new Maemo developer...

>> I disagree. MADDE and Nokia Qt SDK may be the future for MeeGo, but when
>> we're talking about Maemo 5 documentation, Hildon is still the
>> recommended UI toolkit and we should ensure that people coming to
>> Fremantle have good docs.
>
>>From PR1.2 onwards, Qt is the recommended toolkit, at least if you are
> doing anything commercial (but you know this already). N900 has an
> excellent Qt implementation, and with Qt you stand a recent chance of
> someone being able (and willing) to help you out if you have problems.
>
> All of this is somewhat besides the point of your thread, which is to
> fix the documentation, and I don't wish to act as stop energy on that.
> It's just that the page http://wiki.maemo.org/Packaging is not really
> what we'd like to tell random beginners about packaging right now.

Please help improve it. But let's not remove all the autotools stuff
(which, allow me to repeat, is there because that's how *I* know how to
make packages).

Cheers,
Dave.

--