That is scary :)

I have never checked out the source code of any of them and don't even know
who the FAP developer is.

I have to say that I like how the 3 of them work. If we are going to take on
making a better tool we should aim high. It needs to be more than an
"application manager" it needs to be a tool for the user to find and decide
among all the applications available what he needs and, just by accident,
install them. We need to have all the information about the application
available (screenshots, score, repository, user reviews, # of downloads,
....); a very good search; and above all we need to have some service
tracking what the user has installed not just to notify him about updates
but also to remind him to vote/comment on applications that he has
installed; A Donate button would also be great once we are there!

The previous discussion we had back in September has a lot that can be used
to write a spec document. The one we had not long ago about the donation
button should also be a good starting point.

The trick of course is to find someone, ideally more than one person, to
take on writing the application, using whatever maybe available and is of
good quality.

I think money is always a good incentive but there may be others. Maybe we
can get Nokia/Qt to sponsor a trip to some convention to talk about the
initiative and show the results or simply offer some gadgets. Writing this
successfully as a Qt application would be a nice showcase piece for Nokia/Qt
and I think they would "appreciate".

If not, we could start trying to collect some cash or just agreeing that
there would be a "donate button" on the new "application catalog" app for
the developer and "the community" would try to advertise it as much as
possible.

I don't know if any of this new app could be also reusable for meego but
with a good design this could offer another good incentive for the project.

Let's write the equivalent of an "app store" for open source projects or, at
least, "not paid" projects.

Felipe