Michael,

in the U.S. all three of Cingular (HSDPA), Verizon (EVDO), and Sprint (EVDO) have deployed broadband mobile wireless services with a national footprint that, if Sprint's vision is correct will become, in Sprint's case, a stepping stone to full WIMAX deployment a few years down the road.

Nokia is, in fact working with Sprint in the area of WIMAX and and I would be very surprised if Nokia are not considering to put WIMAX into a future version of the N800 or something close to it. I happen to use Verizon's EVDO service and it is very good in terms of bandwidth and U.S. geographic footprint. It supports VOIP satisfactorily and it is being upgraded to higher (Rev. A) performance, as is Sprints EVDO network.

I have managed to test out how the wireless "tethering" of the N800 to the Verizon EVDO service via a Verizon handset using bluetooth works but it would be much nicer if I could "lose" the handset and use a future version of the N800 with EVDO and eventually WIMAX in its place.

I actually think that the biggest impediment to such a scenario is not so much the need to jam another radio into the N800 form factor as it is the fact that Windows Mobile proves to be much more useful in the corporate world (which is where most of the money to purchase these high end handsets comes from) than a N800. If the Nokia product cannot meet the same application needs then it will not be competitive in this market segment.

Although they are expensive, several handset manufacturers, and, in particular, HTC and its reseller UTStarcom, have produced multi radio handsets (EVDO/802.11/CDMA/Bluetooth/IR) that are quite compact, albeit power-hungry, especially with 802.11 turned on. Here is the url to one such product available for both the Sprint and the Verizon Networks in the U.S.:

http://www.utstar.com/pcd/view_phone_details.aspx?mcode=PPC6700&sAct=0

Most of these high end handsets run Windows Mobile 5.0 but it would be nice for Nokia to provide some competition in this segment by adding, for the US market, a CDMA/EVDO radio or GSM/HSDPA chipset to a future version of the N800 product.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 2/6/07, Zoran Kolic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Monday 05 February 2007 22:28, Mike Klein wrote:
> 3rd worst problem is no 3G/cellular capability built-in.
Also my wash machine lacks it. I cannot sleep for that reason.

Sarcasm aside, Zoran has a very good point. Putting cellular
capability on the IT would be as appropriate as putting it on a
washing machine. While it would be great to be able to talk to someone
while doing laundry, it is not really the purpose of the machine.

I wouldn't have bought a 770 or a N800 if it had a GSM/3G/Super-duper
next-gen phone built in.

Reasons:
- It would add $100 to the cost
- It would be a purchase that keeps on costing a monthly fee and cost
even more when using it traveling
- I already have a bare-bones cell phone that makes calls just fine
... most people have
- It would tie it to region/plan that would be difficult to transfer out of
- It would tie it to some specific technology that doesn't have the
longevity/compatibility of wifi/BT
- It would consume a great deal more power

I think these ITs make a good break from legacy tech like cellular and
leave that crowded market to other models.