> More newbie problems!
> I am trying to get ruby running on my 770.  I downloaded the tar file and
> installed it in /var/lib/install/usr.  I created a .profile that added that
> directory to the PATH.  After rebooting the 770, it does not seem to be
> working properly.  Here is my .profile:

This may not be directly related, but you are making life hard for
yourself installing things where they shouldn't be. It looks like
you've been reading the (very very) old packaging instructions. Things
are no-longer installed under /var/lib/install. Instead they are
installed in the usual location /usr/bin and so on. This makes life
easier when building things and also means the end user can update the
binaries that come pre-installed.

Simon