>>> More newbie problems!
>>> I am trying to get ruby running on my 770.  I downloaded the tar  file and
>>> installed it in /var/lib/install/usr.  I created a .profile that
>>> added that
>>> directory to the PATH.  After rebooting the 770, it does not seem  to be
>>> working properly.  Here is my .profile:
>>
>> This may not be directly related, but you are making life hard for
>> yourself installing things where they shouldn't be. It looks like
>> you've been reading the (very very) old packaging instructions.
>> Things are no-longer installed under /var/lib/install. Instead they
>> are installed in the usual location /usr/bin and so on. This makes
>> life easier when building things and also means the end user can
>> update the binaries that come pre-installed.
>
> It's still not working for me.  I logged in as root (sudo gainroot)
> and did this:
> cd /usr
> tar zxvf /media/mmc1/ruby-1.8.4.nok770d.tar.gz
>
> I then rebooted the computer.

I just grabbed the archive to take a look. My apologies, you were
following the instructions in the archive to install it under
/var/lib/install/. This is the way programs were installed on the very
first version of the 2006 OS. You may therefore find that it won't work
when installed under /usr as is the current method.

I would try it as is though before re-installing it. Check that the
files it installed under /usr/bin (ruby is one of them) have execute
permissions. This may be the cause of your current problem.

If ruby is unwilling to run from /usr (as it expects certain hard-coded
paths for example), install it to /var/lib/install as you had it before
and symlink the binaries in /var/lib/install/bin to /usr/bin.

I think finding a more up to date version of ruby would be the best bet
though. Or asking the people at Rubyforge, where I think your version
came from, to remove the --prefix=/var/lib/install/usr they used with
configure.

Simon