Hi Mike:

It's OK. If you decide to do it following the wiki, then I think I could
help a bit:
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HowTo_EASILY_Boot_From_MMC_card

First of all, the two partitions are not exactly a "boot sector" and a "file
sector":

First partition /dev/mmcblk0p1 is VFAT partition. This means that is where
you are going to store files you want to share with other computers. For
example, if you want to pass some files from you 770 to your PC or
viceversa, then you are going to store them in the VFAT partition, since it
is compatible with any Windows system, and of course, a Linux system. So
that think of the VFAT partition as a transition to move files from one
place to another. That is my suggestion of course. You may also store them
there permanently, of course. It depends on your security concerns, since
VFAT partition is not a Linux partition.

Second partition /dev/mmcblk0p2 is going to be ROOT partition. This means
that is where the whole system is going to be installed. This is not just a
BOOT partition. This is where all the applications are going to be
installed. For me, that I like to install as many applications as I may need
in my system, this is the most important one. I have given to that partition
the maximum size available. I want to install more and more apps like
OCTAVE, GNUMERIC, ABIWORD, etc without having problems of space.

If I were you, I would dedicate 1GB to the first VFAT partition. That is
enough to move big files from/to the MMC to/from the PC. Then another 1GB
for the second partition, that is the root partition, that is the whole
system.

If you do not need to move so huge files, you could reduce your first VFAT
partition to 600MB or so. That is up to you.

My personal case is that of a 1GB MMC, so that I've got 128MB for the first
VFAT partition, and the rest for the second (and for me more important) root
partition.

Tell us your choice and any problem you may have implementing it.

Salut,
Sebas.