Luca Ognibene wrote:

Uhm.. you don't like the media player? use mplayer... you don't like
the browser? there is microb (based on mozilla and open source) you
don't like the default mail program? there is modest and/or claws mail
(open source). And you don't need to reflash whole device to install
these programs.. btw i have a n800, don't know if these programs work
on n770.

ciao
Luca

I have done all that. I use mplayer but it chokes on wmv videos but it does almost every mpg I throw at it, unlike the default media player. I used mimino for a while, but it has issues (but very good attempt). 3rd party software is what makes the Nokia 770 a worth while device. I just use web mail for my email...I have given up on a real email application...

The problem is that the Nokia 770,800 and 810 are devices that are heavily dependent upon Nokia for their software. You can't just update individual packages and some of the 3rd party packages don't have the ability to really bang on Nokia hardware. It is as if they treat the device more like a phone and not a computer. The problem is it isn't as reliable as a phone and crashes like a computer...so, the users need to be able to update the core software independently of Nokia. This applies to all N-Series.

I am just too used to Firefox and Thunderbird on my desktop to put up with random crashes and poor performance on my Nokia. Everyone else can continue beta testing for Nokia, but I will pass for a while.

begin:vcard
fn:Karl Bellve
n:Bellve;Karl
org:Biomedical Imaging Group;Department of Physiology
adr:2 Biotech, Suite 114;;373 Plantation
Street;Worcester;Massachusetts;01655;United States of America
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Assistant Professor
tel;work:508-856-6514
tel;fax:508-856-6514