On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 03:54:44AM -0800, Thomas Armagost wrote:
> Thanks for your response.
>
>  sebastian wrote:
>  >
>  > If you download a base-repository.install, this will give
>  > information to the Application Manager to configure a new deb
>  > repository. That's not what you need. What you need is to
>  > download a deb package, and then install it directly.
>
> I'm exploring the mysteries of Red Pill Mode.
>
> http://maemo.org/community/wiki/ApplicationManagerRedPillMode
>
> "This mode used to be an easter egg."
>
> I noticed a blog item claiming that Red Pill Mode bricked an n800.

It would be more accurate to say that Red Pill Mode gives you enough
rope to brick your N800.

For example, try to remove some essential systems packages.  Or upgrade
busybox to the SDK version that isn't compatible with the device.  Or
just upgrade an essential system daemon so that the watchdog (dsme?)
notices it got killed during the upgrade and reboots the device before
the new version of the daemon is fully installed.  Fun things like that.

At least the bricking is not final -- you can reflash.

Marius Gedminas
--
"In general, it is safe and legal to kill your children and their children"
POSIX Prg Gt, by Donald Lewine, O'Reilly & Associates, 1991, p.110 (On process