Mark wrote:
> I can use OOo, Firefox or
> Thunderbird on Linux or Windows without having to relearn anything or
> do without features, and even the menus are mostly identical. (The
> glaring exception is the location of "preferences" in Firefox - what's
> up with that, anyway?)

Becuase they're not even the same code base. The Mozilla projects try
keep the look and feel consistent across all platforms but even the Mac
and Linux application differ considerably. I've built Firefox from
source on an old Sun Linux distro (the ill-fated "Java" desktop system).
I could not do the same on OS X or Windows without a lot more work. As
it is, I've only compiled small command line apps with Xcode's gcc as
I've not endeavored to try anything for Aqua or even Xquartz. But
Microsoft's dev tools are even more bloated than the apps they build
with them. I know my way around Orca to customize my own MSIs but even
those are so unnecessarily obscure and obnoxious that I dread the
thought of actually compiling Win32 apps.

I should quit before this turns in to a more in-depth thread about why
I hate Microsoft, code bloat, and other entropic bureaucracies.

-Gary