John a écrit :

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:28:26 +0100
Maarten Vanraes wrote:

Op vrijdag 03 december 2010 10:45:05 schreef Ahmad Samir:
[...]
The kernel uses the word "tainted" when it detects the nvidia
proprietary module for example, (which admittedly gave me a bit of
shock the first time I saw it :)).

Heh, i had the same reaction.

 From all the proposed names, I think "tainted" is the best one, as the

packages in there are in a "grey" zone, i.e. not totally illegal
everywhere, but illegal only in some places in the world. And in
reality the existence of a patent doesn't necessarily mean it's
enforceable in a court of law (the only way we'd know for sure is if
someone actually does try to sue)... my 0.02€ worth :)

Generally only potentially "illegal" in some countries.
"Tainted" means contaminated, polluted. A lot stronger than potentially "illegal". (Really only actionable in a civil sense, not criminally illegal, as well.) A package could end up there due to an apparently credible rumour, later discredited. (Anyone remember SCO ?)

how about "gray" or "grey" ?

'Grayzone' ?

John

Yes, "greyzone" conveys the idea very well.

Or "problematic" ?

my 2 cents :)

André