Michael Scherer a écrit :
Le vendredi 01 juillet 2011 à 09:48 -0400, andre999 a écrit :

I was thinking that developers tend to have _some_ experience packaging their
own software - and certainly not usually for many distros.

Unfortunately, they don't.

Look at the various php web software and how they tend to be happy with
the approach of "let's untar everything in one folder where the web
server can write and read", or the tendency to bundle every possible
java software in the sun in the same tarball, thus making proper version
tracking a nightmare. Or ruby developers who just say "use gem install
bundle".

Developers are usually far away from the preoccupation of packagers, and
from the complexity that is required for stuff like unified and
centralized deployment, upgrading, integration, etc.

Hadn't thought of it that way before, but some of these points ring a bell.
I still have a lot to learn about the problems encountered in packaging.
It might be interesting to prepare a guide that could be sent to offending developers .. if there isn't one already.
I've learned at lot about distro processes in the last few months.

--
André