On 06/02/13 09:52, Olav Vitters wrote:

By default Mageia 3 should only have journalctl. Optionally you can
still install rsyslog. Any syslog package will store the same
information as journalctl does. Installing this by default provides
little benefit, so it was decided that we only do journalctl by default.
If installed, you double the storage used for logs.

Something I mentioned a while ago is the memory resources taken by systemd-journald vs rsyslog; it is an order of magnitude greater.

We don't care with modern machines, but I would let the option available for old small RAM computers (or reduce the systemd-journal mem resources).

Cheers,
Chris.