On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose the idea is that the -jcl or -log4j dependency is only
> needed at runtime to bind to your preferred logging system. You can
> and should change it according to your taste.

So, as you probably know , jcl from the slf4j perspective means
jakarta commons-logging. commons-logging will log to either
java.util.logging or log4j depending on the presence of the log4j jar.
There's no need to switch to slf4j-log4j here although there probably
wouldn't be an issue if we did because for those dependencies that use
commons-logging, commons-logging will detect log4j and send messages
there.

> Should you check in that change? I imagine most people won't configure
> the logger, so don't care. I think we picked JCL as the default
> destination since other dependencies log straight to JCL.

Right this is true, but hadoop itself provides the log4j log jar with
its binary distribution, so chances are if anyone is doing logging
system customization, they are configuring log4j -or- they are
accustomed to the log messages log4j produces.

> I suppose that represents my only concern, then, that we could be forcing
> people
> to configure 2 systems this way.

I'm not certain how we would be forcing people to configure 2 systems this way.

Regardless, of these points, I can make the change locally, but I
think that generally slf4j -> slf4j-jcl -> log4j is probably the right
way to go.

Thanks for the response,
Drew