On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Drew Farris <drew.far...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, as you probably know , jcl from the slf4j perspective means
> jakarta commons-logging. commons-logging will log to either
> java.util.logging or log4j depending on the presence of the log4j jar.
> There's no need to switch to slf4j-log4j here although there probably
> wouldn't be an issue if we did because for those dependencies that use
> commons-logging, commons-logging will detect log4j and send messages
> there.

Oh I see, you want to use log4j via JCL. That's entirely local to your
setup, am I right? do you have to make Mahout depend on log4j to use
it?

> Right this is true, but hadoop itself provides the log4j log jar with
> its binary distribution, so chances are if anyone is doing logging
> system customization, they are configuring log4j -or- they are
> accustomed to the log messages log4j produces.

Yeah it's probably all going to end up in the distro eventually. So we
have sl4fj -> JCL -> log4j, wow, just to log stuff. What can you do, I
suppose. I'm very slightly in favor of fighting this trend by not
explicitly depending on all 3, though it makes little difference in
practice. log4j is my least favorite logger (though the difference is
small) so I suppose that's another reason I'd very slightly not want
to depend on it.

> I'm not certain how we would be forcing people to configure 2 systems this
> way.

Yeah not necessarily, now that I understand what you mean.