Generally correct.

There are a few unreasonable tools and licenses out there, but anything
plausible such as Illustrator, Omnigraffle and similar tools allows you to
own your own work.

Microsoft has tried to lock work products down in the past, notably with the
mobile internet toolkit (whose license actually went the other dirrection as
well and said that you couldn't use any open source tools).  The massive
negative reaction to attempts like that mean that rights hijacking is pretty
uncommon.  Thus, if you are using tools that lots of creative people are
using, then you are likely to be fine.