Now that 0.3 is almost out and also given discussions over on
gene...@lucene.a.o, I think we can start discussing the details of Mahout as
TLP with specifics of what the PMC would look like.

Below is a proposed resolution based on the Hadoop one from a few years back.
I'd like to discuss this first for a few days and then call a subsequent vote.
The vote would be to ask the Lucene PMC to submit the resolution below [3] to
the ASF Board.  I would suggest we set the vote to begin this Friday, March
19th.  That gives people 5 days to process/discuss.

There are a few things to consider when forming a new PMC, (feel free to add).
I tried to mark my personal opinion with my initials: GSI.

For more on the PMC, see http://apache.org/dev/#pmc

1. Who is on the PMC?

Often times, you just make all existing committers PMC members.  There is also
something to be said for the PMC only being those people who are active and
truly plan on helping out.  Mahout has a few committers who haven't contributed
in a long time but haven't elected to become Emeritus either.

Here's the list of current committers:

        • Isabel Drost (isa...@...)
        • Ted Dunning (tdunn...@...)
        • Jeff Eastman (jeast...@...)
        • Drew Farris (d...@...)
        • Otis Gospodnetic (o...@...)
        • Grant Ingersoll (gsing...@...)
        • Sean Owen (sro...@...)
        • Karl Wettin (ka...@...)
        • AbdelHakim Deneche (adene...@...)
        • David Hall (d...@...)
        • Robin Anil (robina...@...)
        • Benson Margulies (bimargul...@...)
        • Jake Mannix

It is generally considered best practice at the ASF to "Go Emeritus" if you
haven't contributed in over 1 year.  That is, if you've moved on, let us know
so that we can revert your commit bits, etc. for security reasons.  As always,
all Emeritus committers are welcome back at any time simply by saying they wish
to rejoin.

An alternative would be to have people explicitly opt in over the next few days
during the discussion.  That is, if you are interested in being on the PMC and
feel like you are willing to help setup and run the PMC, then opt-in.  If your
name is on the list and we don't hear from you in the days leading up to the
vote, then we will assume you are not interested.

All existing committers would retain their committership if we go for a smaller
PMC.

GSI: I personally think the Opt-In model is best as it helps cement that
someone is truly interested in helping out.  Consider this my "I'm in"
declaration if we go that route.

2. Who is the Chair of the PMC?

The Chair is a VP of the ASF and is responsible for reporting to the Board
amongst other things (commit karma, handling software grants, monitoring
incubation, etc.  See http://apache.org/dev/pmc.html#chair for a full list of
duties.)  Our resolution doesn't have to designate a chair, but we can if we
want to.  If we don't want to, then we would handle the nominations/election on
the private list once it is setup as our first order of business.  I've asked
the Board for "Best Practice" recommendation on this and will let you know
their guidance.

GSI: Barring the Board suggesting otherwise, I'd suggest we handle the election
privately after the TLP is established so just as we do with any personnel
matter (i.e. electing committers).

3. Finally, here's the Board Resolution based on above:

X. Establish the Apache Mahout Project

      open-source software related to a machine learning platform
      for distribution at no charge to the public.

      Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Apache Mahout Project",
      Foundation; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby is
      related to a distributed computing platform; and be it further

      RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache Mahout" be
      and hereby is created, the person holding such office to
      serve at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair
      of the Apache Mahout Project, and to have primary responsibility
      for management of the projects within the scope of
      responsibility of the Apache Mahout Project; and be it further

      Apache Mahout Project:

        • Isabel Drost (isa...@...)
        • Ted Dunning (tdunn...@...)
        • Jeff Eastman (jeast...@...)
        • Drew Farris (d...@...)
        • Otis Gospodnetic (o...@...)
        • Grant Ingersoll (gsing...@...)
        • Sean Owen (sro...@...)
        • Karl Wettin (ka...@...)
        • AbdelHakim Deneche (adene...@...)
        • David Hall (d...@...)
        • Robin Anil (robina...@...)
        • Benson Margulies (bimargul...@...)
        • Jake Mannix

      RESOLVED, that the Apache Mahout Project be and hereby
      Lucene Mahout sub-project; and be it further

      Lucene Mahout sub-project encumbered upon the
      Apache Mahout Project are hereafter discharged.