On Dec 1, 2004, at 8:49 AM, John W. Baxter wrote:

On 12/1/2004 6:05, "Barry Warsaw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I have no problems requiring Python 2.4 for Mailman 2.2, although I
would like to get some feedback from the community before we decide for
sure. I wouldn't be opposed to requiring at least Python 2.3, but I
definitely think we should drop support for earlier Pythons since
nothing earlier than 2.3 is being maintained any more.

The Debian part of the community in particular (of which I am not part). I
wonder when Python 2.4 will wander into a Debian release.

Perhaps a query on the -users list about requiring Python 2.4 with Mailman
2.2 would produce a solid reason not to.

We use Debian so this would be of some concern. It looks like the newest version of python provided by any version of Debian is 2.3.4 at the moment, and the stable version still includes only 2.1.3.

Compiling a python binary is an option, but it would add some extra overhead to the upgrade. If you all think it's the best way to get a good stable set of features for Mailman, we're willing to do it, though.

        Dallas