On 2015-11-24 7:32 AM, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
My confusion relates to the virtual environment that I create.  I am
running from the dedicated MM3 user I created, and I am looking to
expand the bundler from the user’s home directory in /home (for
example).  When I create the virtual environment, the files are all
held in this directory, and I really want the MM3 to be installed
system wide as this will be the only program running on this machine.
Do I even need to create a virtual environment at all?  Are there any
other guides relating to setting up MM3 for a purely production
environment with minimal dependencies?

I hit this same issue, as it were. In my case, I knew exactly what was going on and why but, the problem arose when I needed other people to be able to do mailman-related stuff on the machine and it feels *really* weird to people to go into my home directory to restart mailman.

I think we should probably update the docs to suggest that you start by making a directory where you'd like mailman installed, rather than the way the guide is currently written where it sometimes surprises people that they have a live mailman install in their home directory (as opposed to the workflow people may be expecting which more like "I get a staged copy of my source in my home directory and then I type make install and it puts the executables and config files in expected places")

What would be a good default directory to have in the docs if I want to update them to suggest you start somewhere other than your home directory?

/opt/mailman

is probably the most appropriate one according to the LSB.

Does anyone want to make another suggestion before I update the docs to suggest that as a logical place to put your mailman stuff? (I'll leave a note saying that if you're just trying stuff out then your home directory is fine, too.)

 Terri