On Tue, Jan 05, 2021 at 01:31:45PM -0800, Terri Oda wrote:
> On Tue., Jan. 5, 2021, 1:10 p.m. Sam Kuper, wrote:
>> Thanks for reading this far.  And if I was mistaken (or out of date)
>> about Postorius requiring JavaScript, I would be very happy to stand
>> corrected.
>
> Having the postorious interface work without JavaScript was one of our
> original design goals, because of the problems with JavaScript and
> screen readers. So if it doesn't work without js, please file bugs
> with specific areas that aren't working. Usability for screen readers
> and others who can't use js will always be important.
>
> There is JavaScript, but it was intended for bonus helper stuff like
> "sort this list by this column" and "select all" and should be limited
> to that (and i think the controls for that were supposed to vanish
> when js was unavailable)
>
> That said, I haven't been very involved with mailman since I took off
> time while pregnant, so it's possible the folk in charge have added
> stuff since I last did an accessibility audit, I think in 2017 or so?

Sorry for my delay.

Thank you for incorporating accessibility into the original design goals
of Postorius.

Having checked, it looks like the web pages I was thinking of are in
fact powered by Hyperkitty, not Postorius.

Here is an example of a page where JavaScript seems to be required but
should not be:

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-us...@python.org/

On that page, I see three "spinner" icons.  Presumably they are supposed
to disappear and be replaced by content or menus.  But without
JavaScript enabled, that doesn't happen, which makes the page hard to
navigate.

Here is another example:

https://mail.python.org/archives/list/mailman-us...@python.org/thread/ZVM6I4UTDKHY4EKNLIBIWE4JNC2PYLIS/

There is a spinner near the bottom of that page.  Presumably it is
supposed to be replaced by follow-up messages in the thread, but without
JavaScript enabled, that doesn't happen, which makes it impossible to
read (at least in the web interface) more than the first message in the
thread.

Both those pages say "Powered by HyperKitty version 1.3.5b1."  So, as I
say, it seems to have been my mistake to think that those archives were