At 10:30 PM -0500 2004-08-03, John Price wrote:

I'm running Mailman 2.1.4 on a 1GHz machine with 1.5G RAM.

CPU speed has relatively little to do with performance issues on things related to Internet mail and mailing lists. If you're short of RAM, that can be a real problem, but 1.5GB is probably enough to avoid the worst of the sorts of problems typically caused by memory shortages.

 I have a list that has about 60K members, and all
 interaction with mailman is very slow when there is no
 load on the machine, and SUPER slow when there is load.

I recommend going to the Mailman FAQ Wizard at <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py>, search for "performance", and read the various entries which are returned. You may want to pay special attention to the entries at <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.041.htp>, and consider the performance advantages of upgrading to version 2.1.5.

 Does the program read in the entire mailing list everytime
 it output a web page?

It loads the Python pickles, yes.

Even with 60K users, why does it take so long?

It's hard to say. There's a wide variety of reasons why this could be happening, but most of the known issues are detailed in the FAQ and can be found by searching for the word "performance".

--
Brad Knowles, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755