    Brad>       Yes.  We also care that others having their own
    Brad> gateways will be doing things that are out of our control,
    Brad> and may cause much more damage to the mailing list and all
    Brad> mailing list recipients, than the few who might potentially
    Brad> be served by a properly run gateway.

Heaven forfend!  What harm will Gmane do.  Why does doing Gmane mean
doing others?  What do you fear from others that would follow from
doing Gmane.

    Brad>       We have to balance the potential risk against the
    Brad> potential benefit, both with the current operators and their
    Brad> operations, and with any potential future operators and
    Brad> their operations.

What risk?

    Brad>       This is a potentially slippery slope here, and we need
    Brad> to make sure of our footing.

Many lists including same of the largest, and including some you are
probably subscribed to' are on Gmane.  What harm has come as a result?

        jam