On 18 Jun 2008, at 02:49, Mark Sapiro wrote:

[...]
Into `/etc/python2.5/sitecustomize.py`. This is despite proper setup
of `LC_CTYPE` on the system. Seems to me Mailman should use the
encoding of the current locale, not this site-wide Python default
encoding (settable by root only).
I am aware of this issue, but I think the place to fix it is Python,
not Mailman.

I don’t think Mailman should use `sys.getdefaultencoding()`. See <http://wiki.python.org/moin/DefaultEncoding >. I think instead `locale.getdefaultlocale()` should be used for the CLI commands.

## Mailing List

The mailing list letters are correct _except_ that the body now
contains this:

And yes, each letter sent to the list is converted into base64.

Again, this is the Python email library. If you prefer
quoted-printable, set the language's charset to iso-8859-1.

But I occasionally use stuff that cannot be represented in latin-1… (like this line)

Anyway, point taken, Python MIME library is at fault and I will direct my concern to the maintainers of this.

Though I don’t understand why Mailman has to re-encode all letters to the list encoding. Hopefully it will only do so when the list encoding can actually represent the letter!?!

[...]
Did you restart Mailman after removing

    add_language('en', 'English', 'utf-8')

from mm_cfg.py? If so, and you're still getting utf-8 encoded list
mail, the incoming posts are probably utf-8 encoded.

I must have not restarted at the proper time while testing, cause now I can get it work, i.e. messages now arrive without being base64.