On 18 Jun 2008, at 16:09, Mark Sapiro wrote:

[...]
The process of adding the list header and/or footer to the message
attempts to add these to a text/plain body by coercing the body and
the header/footer to unicode, concatenating them and then coercing
back to the original body charset. If the last step doesn't work, it
will try to coerce to the charset of the list's preferred language.

My list header/footer is pure ASCII. So there should never be a problem going back to the original body encoding.

So should I consider it a bug that setting list encoding to utf-8 will (in my experience) _always_ produce (base 64 encoded) utf-8 letters, when both header/footer and letter itself sent to list is ASCII?

Here is what I did to test: Set list encoding to utf-8 (in mm_cfg.py). Created a new list (called Test) and subscribed to it. Even the welcome letter contained:

    Subject: =?utf-8?q?Welcome_to_the_=22Test=22_mailing_list?=

Notice here the subject was sent as utf-8 even though it is pure ASCII, the body was likewise encoded.

I then sent one letter to this list, subject set to Test and body likewise. I ensured that the produced letter was sent with encoding set to ASCII. The letter I received as a subscriber was one giant block of base64 encoded text with charset set to utf-8.