On 01/26/09 16:51, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
It's no more difficult to spoof the From header than it is to spoof the envelope sender address, but at least this way, if it happens again, you'll more easily see which header got the spam through and not have to go digging for it.

I'll agree it's almost trivial to spoof either or both if you know what you are doing.

However there is quite a bit of difference in the filtering of the SMTP envelope sender that is likely to exist (to some degree) along the way.

It will be *VERY* difficult for me to spoof an SMTP envelope sender for Microsoft with out SPF filters (and the likes) detecting it and acting accordingly.

Grant. . . .