On 10/18/2017 11:51 AM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:
Like tnеtсоnsulting.nеt being a benign minor encoding change in a couple of characters?

No. That is not a simple content encoding change. Content (re)encoding changes the representation of the same encoded data.

<е> 1077, Hex 0435, Octal 2065   !=   <e>  101,  Hex 65,  Octal 145
<с> 1089, Hex 0441, Octal 2101   !=   <c>   99,  Hex 63,  Octal 143
<о> 1086, Hex 043e, Octal 2076   !=   <o>  111,  Hex 6f,  Octal 157

An MTA changing the encoding method of data to / from: base 64 / quoted-printable / 8-bit, is distinctly different than what you have done, which is changing actual encoded data.

The (decimal) number 17 can be encoded multiple ways:

10001 = binary      base  2
   25 = hex         base  6
   21 = octal       base  8
   17 = decimal     base 10
   11 = hexadecimal base 16

All five encoded numbers represent the same value (decimal) 17.

What you have done (in the spirit of a white hat) is actually a homograph attack. Something quite different from simple encoding differences.

Quite similar to a computer seeing a the following three characters as quite distinctly different things, each with different computational meanings.

0

Just because the authors of the RFC have also chosen to stick the square peg in the round hole doesn't make the hole any less round, nor the peg any less square.

Fair.

Somewhere I've a 10-year old e-mail from Whit Diffie explaining how SSL
was a PR solution to a marketing problem. So this kind of problem-finding and problem-solving has made to SMTP RFCs now, colour me shocked.

I'd be curious to read said email, if it's convenient to dig up.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die