I administer around a dozen (mostly v2.1) Mailman lists, but they are all on shared servers running cPanel or some equivalent "we won't let you get your hands dirty" interface.  Not by my choice, and with wildly varying support from the server vendors.

I often see questions about how to do something or another that I would dearly love to do, only to find that the simple, straightforward procedure recommended is beyond my server credentials.  It would be very helpful to me if those answers acknowledged that:

 * this can't be done on a shared server implementation, don't bother
   trying
 * this can also be done on a shared server, and here's how (or at
   least, the magic words to ask your vendor)

For example, the recent answer about "cloning" lists (impossible unless you have full access to the server's filesystem, then trivially easy) was disappointing because I have multiple lists that need to stay in-synch.  So I wrote a Rexx program that screen-scrapes the Mailman configuration screens and generates a checklist of each extracted setting, input field, textarea, etc. for use when cloning a new list.  It's a kludge compared to simply copying a couple of files into a new directory, but it works for those of us out here in the cheap seats.

Thanks,

-Chip-