Hi Folks,

A couple of days ago, over on the MAILOP mailinglist, there was a long
thread titled 'Mailman confirmation email denial of service'.  This
detailed some of the problems we've all seen with Mailman subscription
spam.  The Mailman team has addressed a lot of these problems with
ReCAPTCHA support and additional configuration options.  Arguably the
best solution has been the ReCAPTCHA integration.  BUT, a lot of people
don't like the Google tie-ins that come with ReCAPTCHA.

Recently, a kind person submitted a patch [1] to Mailman for hCAPTCHA an
alternative to ReCAPTCHA.  In the discussion of that patch, Mark has
stated that he is not interested in any more features for Mailman 2.x.
I think that is fine, Mark has given decades of this time to Mailman and
I think it's perfectly natural for him to want to move on.  He deserves
a lot of credit for Mailman's success, both the 2.x and 3.x branches.

So, I have volunteered to spearhead an effort to add one or two more
people to the Mailman Coders group[2] in order to vet and approve new
features that continue the long tradition of providing value to Mailman
2.x.  Who's with me on this?

1. https://code.launchpad.net/~jks/mailman/hcaptcha/+merge/389691

2. https://launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/+members#active