On 8/26/20 6:25 PM, Carl Zwanzig wrote:

As someone regularly uses and maintains a fair bit of old and antique machinery, MM2 still has a lot of life in it. Yes, the original team isn't going to do much with it, but others probably will. And for someone who wants to run a few simple lists* , MM3 is, um, rather a heavyweight. If I'm reading things correctly, in addition to the web server you need python3, django, a sass compiler (w/ ruby overhead), anything else? It certainly doesn't look as easy to install or configure as MM2.

MM2 has some life. That is correct. MM3 has far more. As someone who has now installed Mailman 3 multiple times, I say from experience, it is very easy to install AND to keep up to date. The server overhead is pretty low as well. So again, the wording you chose is misleading. Installing the environment for a MM3 setup is very easy on a modern linux distribution.

*(I have 3 lists, at most 50 people on each, hardly ever any changes)

So they will not notice a migration to Mailman 3 at all then.

Also, from https://docs.mailman3.org/en/latest/pre-installation-guide.html "The short version is that as of now, upgrading from Mailman 2.1 to Mailman 3.1 is buggy."

I am pretty sure that documentation is old. Here is a quote from the above page:

"Now the long version. Because of the changes in Database Schema, migrating from Mailman 2.1 to Mailman 3.1 is not very easy, though it can be done with some scripting. We are working on it and it should be working soon, we don’t have an exact timeline on it though."

Well they did come up with two scripts for migrating MM2 lists to MM3 and they have been out for a while. I just migrated over 60 MM2 lists to our Mailman 3 cloud environment without a single error. List settings, members, and archives were all migrated easily.

So, it's likely that a lot of people will still be using MM2 for at least a few years (heck there are are Solaris -7- systems out there, happily running production code). That ship is happily performing it's daily passenger runs.

That is good as long as no major "DMARC" events come along. Nobody is complaining that folks are using MM2. But I am seeing some complaints pointed at the MM developers for no longer willing to develop MM2. See, the problem here is, the developers did develop and improve the Mailman project, its just now called Mailman 3. So embrace and respect their hard work and move your dang lists to Mailman 3! (I am jesting with the exclamation point.)

--
Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Thank you for your business. We appreciate our clients.
Brian Carpenter
EMWD.com

--
EMWD's Knowledgebase: