On 3/17/2021 2:12 PM, Bader, Robert (Bob) wrote:
Thanks for the info,

So in working with our server team that latest package for centos7 is 2.1.15,
However we are  finding out that Rhel back ports for security fixes
(https://access.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/)
So I am running 2.1.15 with the security patch’s up to and in 2.1.34???  this
is very interesting and confusion to determine what version you are on.  They
reason we are doing via packages, is so we can have automated systems that keep
systems security patched/updated. If were just always install the
latest/greatest versions of software, then we could encounter other issues.  I
don’t think we would hit that with mailman though.

Mailman 2.1.34 is the latest correct, is it still being developed? I thought it
was done and no longer being developed and patched but looking for that stated
somewhere.

Also I agree, centos7 is ancient BUT it still has support where centos6
support/patching is ending. There was talk I believe about going to centos8 but
there are compatibility issues so centos7 was chosen.
I don’t get to choose the server OS…. I just run the mailman.

When I was administering Mailman on Ubuntu, I decided that I had to use
the Mailman source.  I looked at the Ubuntu patches, and most were
undocumented.  And one removed a library that, on occasion, was
required.  And I had no confidence that the Ubuntu Mailman support
team would know as much as the people on this list, and, at the time,
Ubuntu was not giving their patches back to the Mailman development
team.  So I spent some time and built a package from the Mailman
source.  It took me some time, as I was not really familiar with
packages.  But once I got a package built, and it ran fine, I then had
the instructions for building a package from subsequent new source
distributions.

I do not know about Centos Mailman, but if Centos has taken 2.1.15 and
retrofitted subsequent security patches, then the 2.1.15 version would
not have all of the non-security (DMARC et alia) enhancements.

--Barry Finkel