On 3/17/21 1:09 PM, Barry S. Finkel wrote:

> When I was administering Mailman on Ubuntu, I decided that I had to use
> the Mailman source.  I looked at the Ubuntu patches, and most were
> undocumented.  And one removed a library that, on occasion, was
> required.  And I had no confidence that the Ubuntu Mailman support
> team would know as much as the people on this list, and, at the time,
> Ubuntu was not giving their patches back to the Mailman development
> team.

Actually, Ubuntu has almost no involvement in this. Their Mailman
packages come straight from Debian.

> I do not know about Centos Mailman, but if Centos has taken 2.1.15 and
> retrofitted subsequent security patches, then the 2.1.15 version would
> not have all of the non-security (DMARC et alia) enhancements.

I'm not certain, but I think the RHEL/CentOS Mailman 2.1.15 has the
DMARC mitigations retrofitted.

However, I do agree with Barry F that installing Mailman (2.1.or 3) from
the GNU Mailman project releases is the way to go. I understand the
motivations for using packages (most things on the servers I admin are
installed as packages) and if you are comfortable with what the package
provides and willing to get your support from the packager, then the
package is a viable option. Otherwise, maybe not.