On 6/18/22 14:53, Mark Hills wrote:

Not the exact problem, but thanks for setting me on the right path.

There _was_ the following in mm_cfg.py for some time:

   GLOBAL_PIPELINE.insert(GLOBAL_PIPELINE.index('Approve'), 'SizeLimit')

I removed this completely and repeated the test; no change.

I would not expect that to have an effect.

It took me a while but I eventually worked out I needed to refresh the
pipeline of the individual lists, with something like:

   echo "del mlist.pipeline" | config_list -i /dev/stdin mylist

This command succeeded the first time; successive attempts failed with:

   AttributeError: MailList instance has no attribute 'pipeline'

which seems to suggest where was a list-specific pipeline, but no more.

Yes, and those list specific pipelines overrode mm_cfg.GLOBAL_PIPELINE and probably predated Mailman 2.1.16 and didn't include the WrapMessage handler.

So I think what's happened here is our lists ended up with a pipeline
definition fixed into each list. It's possibly someting from a series of
upgrades; there's never been a reason to want to maintain a separate
pipeline for each list (only to ensure the "SizeLimit" above applied to
all lists on the system.)

Possible in testing the SizeLimit handler you wound up setting list specific pipelines.

We have a script periodically using config_list to set "known good" values
on every list. To prevent the problem above happening again, I've added
the following:

   if hasattr(mlist, 'pipeline'):
         del mlist.pipeline

That shouldn't be necessary, but it won't hurt. Lists don't grow a pipeline attribute by themselves. You have to do something to set one.