On 2022-10-18 12:41, Grant Taylor via Mailman-Users wrote:

I've seen this type of duplication when there were communications problems that
were causing your outbound MTA to send messages multiple times.  This usually
happens when there are communications problems and your sending MTA doesn't
receive the confirmation from receiving MTAs that they have accepted the
message.  This might be a result of a timeout setting being too low on your
sending MTA.

Thanks for that pointer.
At the moment the Postfix smtpd_timeout = 60s. I think the original default is 300s.

The restart (as per Mark S.'s advice) has got the mail back to one copy. If it
goes off the rails again I'll experiment with that timeout.

Given that your message to the mailman-users mailing list came to the list
twice, which didn't involve your instance of Mailman, I sort of suspect you
have lower level / SMTP problems

That was my bad. I had a cert error and thinking the message hadn't been sent,
I resent it.
*</:-(
(that's my dunce hat)

I think that your MTA's logs will be a very good place to start looking.  At
least to see if there is evidence of problems or not.

There is one timeout error (unrelated I think) that gets repeated every hour
approx. for just one recipient.

Oct 17 18:31:47 syd postfix/smtpd[30094]: timeout after END-OF-MESSAGE from
mpv-out-cfd-1.REDACTED-DOMAIN.COM[REDACTED-IP4-ADDRESS]