On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 6:23 PM Florin Pasăre <fpas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I've been having some issues lately. We are using Mailman 2.1.15.
> I've looked over the FAQ but the only thing that I could find is to contact
> the ISPs and ask to be whitelisted - am I understanding this correctly?
> Here is a brief description of the issue:
>
> Our server hosts 5 listserv, the biggest one counts over 530 subscribed
> members from 55 different countries.
>

> We had received sporadic bounces triggered by emails sent to these lists
> since the install of the server in 2016, but in the last months the number
> of bounces we get has increased. We receive these bounce notifications
> informing us that the given *subscription has been disabled* due to
> *excessive
> or fatal bounces *(up to around 30 bounce notifications triggered by a
> single email sent to one of the listservs). Every time we get such
> notifications, we untick the bounce under “nomail [reason]" in the admin
> management site for each of the email addresses that haven been disabled by
> the system.
>

> Furthermore, it has happened several times in the past few months that a
> number of email addresses have been automatically removed from the
> listservs (at the same time, from different countries). We have not found
> an explanation for why this happens or a solution, so the only thing we are
> able to do is to manually add them back to the listservs.
>

> We have also asked these colleagues for which we have received bounces to
> check whether there is anything blocking the listservs’ emails from their
> side (note that many of them work in ministries or agencies with strong
> security features), and to add the server IP to the white list, but the
> problem persists.
>

> Thank you for your time,
>

> Florin Pasăre,

In summary:

1. Your MTA logs probably have clues - with the reasons for the bounce(s).
I'd love to see what the recipient servers think.
2. You have not mentioned if you DKIM-sign the list emails and have DMARC
mitigation.
3. Do you have SPF records published?
4. Do you have stats on the bounces?

--