Juergen Dollinger writes:

 > We tried encrypted lists some years ago. Have a look at
 > http://non-gnu.uvt.nl/mailman-pgp-smime/

Thank you for describing your experience!
The people side is always hard.  I'm not unhopeful though, but it's
going to take work, especially good design.

 > The idea is that there is a key for the list, the server decrypts
 > the E-mails and encrypts it for the recipients who have supplied a
 > key. Worked fine with that old version of Mailman 20 years ago.

That's exactly how I would do it, except you wouldn't receive posts
until you submitted a key.  Having half the copies vulnerable
on-the-wire and on-disk would not fill me with warm fuzzy feelings.
:-)

I think this could be fairly useful in environments where people are
paranoid enough to leave the mail encrypted on disk.  But even the DV
case that I mentioned -- would it stay encrypted for long if a few of
the abusers discovered its existence?  It would only take one!

 > But even in our quite nerdy environment only about the half of the
 > subscribers submitted a key for the list. (excuses are like 'I want
 > to use grep(1) for fulltext search in my list E-mails')

Today I don't think that excuse would fly, machines are fast enough
that few email bodies would take noticable time to decrypt, and
languages like Python and Perl provide very high quality email
processing libraries.  p-grep-p would be written real fast, and it
would work fast too.

Steve