On 2/12/2024 5:30 AM, Richard wrote:
That's just silly: We've had "diff" for over THREE full decades now, to say nothing of the variants.

And diff is going to fail for this, at least part of the time.

A VERY straight-forward strategy would be to diff the current inbound against the previous one it was in reply to - using threading as already cited. No LLM is needed, well trained or otherwise, and neither is it "quite complex."

I beg to differ. First... which is really the "previous message"? How does it deal with varying amounts of leading whitespace or quote markings. How will it deal with multi-part messages.

One strategy is to count the number of consecutive quote-marked lines and set a threshold for how many is too much, often that's a percentage of total lines and varied by the message size.

If using diff is straightforward, please code up something to drop in the mailman pipeline. Include the test cases used to verify it.

Later,

z!