On Wed, 14 Feb 2024, Tim Houseman wrote:

Thanks for the response. I thought this was the answer but it is nice to
have confirmation. I'd love to tell my client that they need better trained
subscribers but the only answer I ever get is "Training our membership is
not an option" when there are easy fixes to member complaints. Such is life.

I was kind of hoping that like Richard implied there would be some
straightforward milter I could attach and run string matching against.
Since that isn't an option though I'll let my client know and we'll move on
to things that can be resolved.

Another idea just popped into my head:

IF you could find a basic milter template that has some pass-through capability, you could potentially filter ALL occurrances of the footer and then re-attach ONE when done with it by using the "replace" utility.

Replace is a part of the MySQL package and is available currently on Fedora, and likely other Linux distributions. Here's an example usage:

$ echo "fubar" | replace "b" "f"
fufar

(You can also use it on the content of files, but a pipe is likely more applicable to you.)

With a little testing you can probably get something like that working, I'd imagine, first by replacing with nothing, then appending at the end when done? Sure, a bit of work, but logically straight-forward.

Good luck,
Richard