On 5 Nov 2013, at 17:46, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

On 4 Nov 2013, at 3:56, m...@assai.com.au wrote:

What I would like to see in MailMate is the option to have "on my Mac" mail folders. This provides not only ways of safeguarding mail (important: this can have legal implications these days), but also of having search access to historic emails which may not be on the current iMap server.

I agree with all of this wholeheartedly. I know how IMAP is meant to work, but the lack of local safeguards in situations like Seebs', or worse still given an unannounced decision by a mail server admin to dump messages past a certain age in order to save disk space (or whatever), is one of the things that worries me about using MailMate.

I'll do what I can to make this more unlikely to happen (implement some of the warnings discussed with Seebs), but in most cases this problem is not much different than the risk of a local corrupted (or stolen) disk. The exception is, of course, if the server admin quietly drops old messages and the user does not notice/know this, but I don't think that would keep them in business for very long (and that goes for any type of cloud service).